Cyesha Coffee Ltd is rwandan coffee company which produces, processes and sells specialitycoffee since its creation in 2018. The company mainly operates in Western Province of Rwanda,Nyamasheke district, Kanjongo Sector, Susa cell in Mugeyo Village where locates its MugeyoCoffee Washing Station. The area is at 1890 meters of altitude in the neighborhood of NyungweNational Park which is a protected natural forest which is rich in biodiversity. The altitude, typeof soil and abundant rainfalls make the area more suitable to coffee farming and thus producesbestquality coffee.
Mugeyo Coffee works with 278 coffee farmers of whom, 172 are women and 106 are men while11% of them are youth. The company itself has established its own 14ha coffee plantation where all good agricultural practices are applied and farmers learn best practices from it. The Company was created by a young man, Mr Gerard NKUNZURWANDA,37 years old who was born from a longtime coffee growing family. The love and commitment of his parents towards coffee farming activities has inspired him to engage in coffee activities at young age. Cyesha Coffee Ltd is managed by the team of 6 people with 6 coffee site collectors and hires106 casual workers during the coffee processing season and 20 workers who always maintain the company’s own coffee industrial plantation.
For quality enhancement, washing station regularly receives the technical assistance from Mr. William NIYITANGA, a certified Q Processing Professional and Lecturer of the Coffee Quality Institute (CQI) on Post Harvest Processing which helps the company to monitor all steps of processes comply with processing guidelines in order to ensure high-quality coffee is produced with the highest cupping score.
Coffee season starts in February and closures in June every year.
- 2. The objective of the company:
The company aims at producing and selling high quality specialty coffee on international markets through:
- Use the international processing guidelines, accept customer feedbacks and make innovations in order to process best quality and high value coffee which meets the needs of the consumer
- Training farmers on good agricultural practices and render extension services to farmers which enhances good coffee husbandry and increase coffee productivity and quality as well.
- Support the development of the community surrounding the coffee washing stations through socio-economic activities; engaging women and youth and environmental protection for the sustainability of the business.
- 3. Production capacity, coffee market and product profile
- 3.1. Production capacity
Currently, Cyesha Coffee Ltd/Mugeyo Coffee produces 4 containers of fully washed coffee every season and expects to increase the production considering ongoing expansion programs and extension service delivered to farmers in order to increase coffee tree productivity. In the zone of Mugeyo coffee washing station, there is a total of 322,048 coffee trees and most of them are still young and the productivity will continue to increase as long as they become mature
Cyesha coffee’s own coffee plantation to start producing
- 3.2. Coffee market
The company has exported one of the containers to Japan since 2018 whereas the remaining production has been sold locally to other exporters. The company keeps building trust and good relationships with buyers and it aims at selling all its production to the international market of specialty coffees across the globe. Within this regard, It is making effort in marketing, keep improving the quality, product diversification and is in the process of certification for Fair Trade and Organic order to get new buyers.
Hand picked cherries Hand sorting at Mugeyo coffee mostly employs women
Mugeyo coffee washing station uses modern technologies of processing specialty coffee, with a clean natural source of water, hand picked cherries and sorting, pulping with discpulper,monitored fermentation,grading by density and size and drying on tables.
- 3.3. Products quality profile
- 3.3.1. Product processing methods
- Cyesha Coffee Ltd/Mugeyo Coffee washing Station processes fully washed coffee
- Natural (fruit dried),Honey(mucilage dried) and Anaerobic experiment processesareals done by order of the buyers.
- 3.3.2. Quality profile of Mugeyo coffee
- Mugeyo coffee belongs to the Western zone of Rwanda coffee profile in the proximity of Lake Kivu and has the following distinctive quality characteristics:
- Aromas: Mainly tearose (redcurrant),chocolate,vanilla,berries
- Acidity:Citric dominant,but malicis present
- Flavors:Combination of orange and berries, a pricot/peach noted in many samples,honey,and clove/spice
- Medium body, medium finish length
- Cupping score: 86+
- Screen size:15+
- 4. Socio responsibility activities
Socio-economic responsibility is the cornerstone of sustainability of Cyesha coffee Ltd’s business.
This the company engages itself in activities that enhance socio- cohesion, inclusive economic development, gender and environment protection. It fights against discrimination of all kinds and child labor.
In this pipeline,it pays for Health insurance for poor families (45 last year),renovates shelters for poor families, supported distribution of clean water to 220 poor families, built bridges and maintains roads to the Coffee Washing Stations and provides small loans with no interests to the farmers for paying school fees for their children and socioeconomic development projects. For environment protection,it grows agro forestry trees,distribute them to farmers and digantierosiveterraces. The company makes compost for farmers and produces coffee seedlings for farmers. Cyesha coffee Ltd hires youth and women in the company activities and mobilize them to engage in coffee activities. Soon,it will behaving and marketing coffee specifically grown and processed by women and youth i.e Women coffee and youth coffee respectively.
For sustainability, Mugeyo coffee engages youth/women in coffee activities as it used to be for old people.
Among the stakeholders include National Agricultural Export Development Board of Rwanda(NAEB),Nyamasheke District and Techno Serve.
- 5. ContactoftheCompany
Phone:+250788 551 775
Technical Assistant on Post Harvest Processing:Phone(whatsapp): +250 788 596 596Email: firstname.lastname@example.org